10 Tips to Flattering Turtlenecks
- Wear a supportive (read underwire) bra. This is first and foremost the most important piece to wearing a turtleneck. The turtleneck will only accentuate the breasts and the last thing we want to accentuate is a set of sagging boobies.
- Layer it under a button down. One of the tips that I often tell my well-endowed clients when shopping for shirts is to steer towards V-necks. It helps to elongate your torso while at the same time making the chest less prominent. You can cheat this look with a turtleneck simply by wearing one under a button down shirt. Keep the shirt unbuttoned all the way down to your waist and it will work just like a v-neck.
- Wear your hair up. Keeping your hair up helps reduce the bulk around the neck area and can exaggerate the effect of a long swan-like nape. My favorite way to wear my hair when wearing a turtleneck is to pull it into a high ponytail. The placement should hit right at the most prominent point of the head or right at eye-level. It has the effect of lifting the face up and accentuating the cheekbones.
- Keep your earrings delicate. Once again, when wearing a turtleneck you will want to eliminate the volume around your face. A delicate earring gives you just that little bit of sparkle without adding more mass to the area.
- Try a front tuck. To reign in an oversized turtleneck sweater, give it a front tuck. It helps to define a waistline and give you a longer leaner line.
- Go monochromatic. To create the look of a tall drink of water, try wearing the same color of your turtleneck on your lower half.
- Layer another shirt underneath a loose turtleneck. By wearing a loose neck turtleneck, you can add a pop of color up around the face area to draw the eye up.
- Layer it under a dress. The added layer of warmth makes dresses a viable option even during winter months.
- Do a fitted turtleneck with a full skirt. For slender and full figured women alike this way of wearing a turtleneck is extremely figure flattering.
- Layer, layer, layer. C'mon the point of wearing a turtleneck is to keep you warm and toasty. So, why not add some more layers while you are at it. Using a tissue weight turtleneck as your base layer will keep the bulk to a minimum. Add close-knit sweater and finally a blazer to finish the look..
- They are referred to as "Polos" in the United Kingdom and "Skivvies" in Australia.
- During the 50's all existentialists donned the black turtleneck.
- Later, it became the mark of a "Preppy".
rohit aggarwal says
thank you dailyfashionmuse for giving me wonderful information